The Weedern estate first appears in the chronicles in the ХVII century. Located in the Darkemen district (Angerapp, Ozersk) of the Eastern Prussia, it consisted of the Weedern, Rezeningken, Bidushen and Grünwald manor farms. Alexander von Neumann founded a horse breeding farm in the settlement of Gut Weedern in 1826. The heiress of the estate, Louise von Neumann married Eberhardt von Tsitsevitst, a talented horse breeder who scored many achievements in breeding pedigreed horses and successfully developed and improved the estate.
Weedern’s lands were drained, bogs wooded; the herd of horses was increased and a studbook started. Weedern grew to a well-known agricultural unit in Prussia, and soon to an internationally acknowledged horse breeding farm specializing in breeding pedigree horses of Eastern-Prussian breeds. 16 Weedern horses received prizes in Hamburg in 1910. The firm produced 50 horses per annum for sale.
The area of Weedern amounted to 1276 ha at that time. The estate included a beautiful large mansion surrounded by a magnificent garden, a riding house, numerous stables and ancillary buildings. The buildings formed a rectangle, in the center of which a show ring for horses was located.
The First World War left Weedern devastated: 174 pedigree horses were killed, and the estate was completely destroyed. Nevertheless, the most precious specimens of the herd were timely rescued and sent to Pomerania. After the war, the stables and the workers’ houses saw a prompt restoration, and the herd grew to 80 mares. Among them there were several famous horses: a mare named Fane and a stallion named Bulgarian Tsar won quite a fame in the Eastern Prussia.
Eberhardt von Tsitsevitst married Anna von Sperber from Klestsoven after the death of his first spouse. Anna belonged to an ancient Prussian house which also bred horses. The amalgamation of the two private farms boosted their efficiency. Now the herds housed in Rezeninkgen, Bidushen and Weedern. Eberhardt von Tsitsevitst died in 1934, and his wife carried on with their business. During the Second World War in 1944, before the advance of the Soviet troops, 380 persons and 260 horses were forced to leave Weedern for Pomerania that once again opened its doors for them.
After the war, in 1946, the settlement was turned into a military collective farm No. 138. People from all over Russia came to live here: from Smolensk, Rayzant, Pskov and Novgorod regions. The farm reared cattle, cultivated vegetables and cereal crops. The formed manor housed the farm’s desk room from 1947 thought to 1962. And starting from 1963 it became home for Suvorov’s school for children from the nearest settlements: Borka, Kadymki, Zhuchkovo, Ryazanskoe, Prudnoe, Dubrava. Apart from the school, the former manor house served as the local community center, a canteen, and a post office, while the former buildings of the horse breeding farm housed collective farms.
In 2000, a new owner purchased the estate, and built a new school for the children from the neighboring settlements. The new owner is currently restoring the Weedern estate very carefully after the old photographs and drawings. A big farmstead has been established here to include horse and sheep breeding, as well as multipurpose farm production, which allows to continue and further develop the long history of this honoured horse breeding farm.
In 2010, Yuriy Luzhkov after holding the post of the Mayor of Moscow for 18 years (1992-2010), became Head of Weedern. The total area of the agricultural facility nowadays amounts to 5.5 thousand ha. More than 100 locals are employed at the farm. The wages of the personnel are officially declared and transferred to their bank accounts. The farm is a conscientious taxpayer, which is why it stands well with the enterprises of Kaliningrad Oblast.
The staff of the farm encompasses people of different professions: stockbreeders, shepherds, animal technicians, machine operators, process planners, power engineers, drivers, general workers, mechanics, locksmiths, lathe operators, electricians, veterinarians and other. The agricultural complex disposes of a full array of agricultural machinery necessary for modern farming.
As his major goal as a farmer, Yuriy Luzhkov names the creation of a sustainable and efficient enterprise. Luzhkov believes that fulfilling such a specific local task could help find the right ways to development the agricultural industry on the local, and even national level – with the aim to transform the industry into an efficient type of activity capable of bringing regular and honest income to farmers all over the country.